[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer] Supporting Swift Client < 1.7.5

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Thu Feb 14 22:09:09 UTC 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 1:44 PM, Sandy Walsh <sandy.walsh at RACKSPACE.COM> wrote:

> Hey!
>
> I'm working on getting CM HACKING Compliant and ran into this little gem:
> https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/objectstore/swift_middleware.py#L34
>
> There's no easy way to have the correct order of imports and these tests for specific Swift client versions.
>
> I could disable Hacking checking for this file, but that feels wrong. It could be easier to just not support Swift clients < 1.7.5
>
> So, which option is best?
> 1. Drop support for Swift < 1.7.5 in CM?

Since CM hasn't been released as part of OpenStack (or ever?) yet, this seems like a viable alternative, IMO. Of course, this limits the existing clusters you can deploy CM in. Although we recommend that all deployers upgrade to each Swift release, I know it doesn't always happen.

FWIW, Swift 1.7.5 was released Tue Nov 13 (ie post-folsom). We have had once release since then and will have another before grizzly is final.

> 2. Solicit ideas for crafting an elegant way to make that code Hacking Compliant?
> 3. Disable Hacking checks for this file?

I'm not familiar with what a hacking check does, but it seems to depend on the answer to 1.