[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer][Tempest]Tracking of blueprints and changes

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Mon Dec 30 19:53:13 UTC 2013

On 12/27/2013 05:27 AM, Nadya Privalova wrote:
> Hello guys!
>
> I hope all of you are enjoying the holidays! But I'd like to raise a
> Tempest question. Again. I hope this email will not be lost after
> vacations :)
> After the summit we decided to track all tests that are being created
> for Ceilometer in Tempest here:
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tempest/+spec/add-basic-ceilometer-tests.
> Besides, we've created an etherpad page with a test plan
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ceilometer-test-plan.
>
> But it turned out that it works very bad. Now we have at least 3
> change requests that have common functionality implemented. So we
> definitely need more reliable mechanism for tracking any changes.
> That's why I suggest to create a separate blueprint for each
> functionality. E.g. "Ceilometer client for Tempest", "Notification
> testing" with several bps that depend on it ("Swift notifications",
> "Glance notifications", "Nova notifications") and so on. In future we
> may vary the detail level of blueprints but now we need very detailed
> ones because different people have started to work on e.g. notifications.
> So there are the following action items:
> 1. Resolve all conflicts in changes that are on review now (see my
> comment to https://review.openstack.org/#/c/39237/ patch set 21 for
> more details)
> 2. Create set of blueprints from the testplan we have
> 3. Add Tempest discussions to Ceilometer weekly meeting agenda (done)
>
> I may take care of all the items above. I need only "ok" from PTLs and
> Cores.
> Anyway, we've started working on 1st item, because it is urgent. The
> second one may be postponed due to holidays.
>
> And one more important thing. Code review for Ceilometer tests in
> Tempest is too slow. Some of change requests are created almost a half
> a year ago! Ceilometer guys, please be informed. I think all of us are
> interested in good tests.
>
> Thank you for attention,
> Nadya

So the tempest patches for ceilometer are still not a coherent set. Can
you please mark anything that is not ready for review as Work In
Progress, or abandon until there is really something to review?

Also, having looked at a few of these, I am confused about the usage of
"ceilometer", "metering", "telemetry". Is there an explanation for the
context in which each of these terms is to be used?

  -David