[openstack-dev] [Nova][VMware] Deploy from vCenter template

Qing Xin Meng mengqxqx at cn.ibm.com
Fri Dec 20 06:59:08 UTC 2013

I don't think these patches are conflicting.
I will continue to work on this patch.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/34903/

Thanks!

Best Regards

Hi Arnaud,

It's really good to know that your team are proposing the vcenter driver
with OVA+glance datastore backend support.  Thanks for sharing the
information.  OVA would be a good choice which will benefit users by
avoiding only use flat image limited from current driver.

But in my opinion, it may not conflict with deploying from template. From
an end user perpective, if there are already a set of templates within
vcenter, it's good for him to have openstack to deploy VM from it directly.
He can touch an empty image in glance only with the metadata pointing to
the template name.  And boot vm from it.  Also he can freely choose to
generate a *ova with vmdk stream file and placed in certain datastore and
deploy from VM from image location pointing to the datastore.  These are
two different usage scenarios per my understanding.

And to go further, if there are some mechnism, that openstack can sync
exsiting VM templates into Glance images.  It can make this function more
useful.

Best Regards
Zarric(Zhu Zhu)