[openstack-dev] [Nova][VMware] Deploy from vCenter template

Zhu Zhu bjzzu.zz at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 01:48:51 UTC 2013

Hi Arnaud,

It's really good to know that your team are proposing the vcenter driver with OVA+glance datastore backend support.  Thanks for sharing the information.  OVA would be a good choice which will benefit users by avoiding only use flat image limited from current driver.

But in my opinion, it may not conflict with deploying from template. From an end user perpective, if there are already a set of templates within vcenter, it's good for him to have openstack to deploy VM from it directly.  He can touch an empty image in glance only with the metadata pointing to the template name.  And boot vm from it.  Also he can freely choose to  generate a *ova with vmdk stream file and placed in certain datastore and deploy from VM from image location pointing to the datastore.  These are two different usage scenarios per my understanding.

And to go further, if there are some mechnism, that openstack can sync exsiting VM templates into Glance images.  It can make this function more useful.

Best Regards
Zarric(Zhu Zhu)