[openstack-dev] What's Up Doc? Dec 11 2013

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Dec 12 14:37:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

> [...]
> into our processes and reviews and making good strides towards bringing in
> developer teams for reviews after they use the DocImpact flag. Thanks Lana!
>
> 2. High priority doc work:
>
> To me, one high priority is to get the config options done for milestone 1
> release.
>
> Another priority is for me to write a "content spec" for each book that we
> currently maintain, so that incoming projects can easily "plug in" to each
> deliverable. If I had to write a short description of each book, it'd be:
>
> Installation Guide - Describes a manual install process for multiple
> distributions including CentOS, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, RedHat Enterprise
> Linux, SUSE Enterprise Linux, and Ubuntu.
>
> Configuration Reference - Contains a reference listing of all
> configuration options for core and integrated OpenStack services.
>
> Cloud Administrator Guide - Contains how-to information for managing an
> OpenStack cloud as needed for your use cases, described in this document.
>
> High Availability Guide - Describes potential strategies for making your
> OpenStack services and related controllers and data stores highly available.
>
> Operations Guide - Offers information for designing and operating
> OpenStack private or public clouds plus best practices for day-to-day
> operations.
>
> Security Guide - Provide best practices and conceptual information about
> securing an OpenStack cloud
>
> Virtual Machine Image Guide - Shows you how to obtain, create, and modify
> virtual machine images that are compatible with OpenStack.
> End User Guide - Shows OpenStack end users how to create and manage
> resources in an OpenStack cloud with the OpenStack dashboard and OpenStack
> client commands.
>
> Admin User Guide - Shows OpenStack admin users how to create and manage
> resources in an OpenStack cloud with the OpenStack dashboard and OpenStack
> client commands.
>
> API Quick Start - A brief overview of how to send requests to endpoints
> for OpenStack services.
>
> I'd like for projects to understand what goes where and be able to write
> sections that fit into these titles. I'm not recommending that you create
> your own title, but understand where your section can go in the wider
> picture of OpenStack docs.
>
> 3. Doc work going on that I know of:
>
> See below for the developmental edit of the O'Reilly edition of the
> Operations Guide.
>
> Shaun's working on the autodoc for configuration option tables for the
> icehouse-1 milestone.
>
> 4. New incoming doc requests:
>
> The Triple-O team would like to talk about how to plug into the OpenStack
> existing docs. Feel free to reach out on details, while we are going to
> stick with the manual install for this release (Icehouse), perhaps the
> Triple-O team can get a head start. Open to ideas after hearing from them

I left out an important update for doc tools -- Sphinx 1.2 was just
released and it is incompatible with distutils in python 2.7. This means
that all projects need to fix their doc builds either by subscribing to
openstack/requirements which already has the correct version of Sphinx
pinned, or by pinning sphinx>=1.1.2,<1.2 in your own requirements file. See
the thread on openstack-dev at
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-December/021863.htmlor
ask a friendly infrastructure dev for help.
Anne