[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Less compiler dependency

Jordan OMara jomara at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 16:24:48 UTC 2013

On 10/12/13 16:41 +0100, Jiri Tomasek wrote:
> On 12/09/2013 12:47 PM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
>> Hey all Horizoners,
>>
>> This is last time I am trying to bring this concern up (well at least
>> last time for a while :)). But...
>>
>> Watching latest progress with updating Bootstrap to v3 and dealing
>> with compiling issues, I am more and more concerned about dependency
>> on lesscpy. Currently the library supports only some features of less.
>> It is very small and very young project, containing one or two
>> maintainers. We are already waiting couple of months so that we can
>> update to Bootstrap 3 because of this dependency. And all of these
>> problems will not disappear once we update Bootstrap. Because the
>> library will support certain use cases but when Horizon will grow we
>> will use more advanced features which the library will not have
>> covered. And we will be blocked by the same issue over and over again.
>>
>> So I would like to ask everybody, if we can reconsider this dependency
>> and find some other alternative. I know we moved from nodejs, because
>> it is packaging nightmare. But honestly, better to invest more into
>> packaging than being blocked months waiting for features we need to
>> get in. If we find some alternative for both, it is win for us. But
>> current situation is making me nervous.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -- Jarda

> Hi all,
>
> So in IRC discussion we agreed to try 3 approaches how to resolve the
> problem:
>
> 1/ Try to dive into Lesscpy and help with making it support Bootstrap 3
> (and gradually all less features), subsequently keep it up to date.
>
> 2/ Investigate using lessc with other js engine than nodejs (eg. Rhino)

Rhino is written in Java and thus requires a JRE as a dependency for
LESS compilation. I don't see how this is any better than requiring
NodeJS as a build time dependency, when NodeJS buys us a lot of other
features for css/js and Rhino does not.

I'm currently checking out PhantomJS, which only requires
coffeescript, but I'm hesistant to suggest a complex workaround when
better options are available.

> 3/ Have production and development environment in Horizon, where
> development includes nodejs, release compiled css as well as less files.
> The styling customization would then require user to recompile
> stylesheets with his changes. On the other hand we'd have nodejs present
> in development envitonment and be able to use other tools that require
> it.

I like the idea of having a default development mode that's a little
more supportive for developers, including not-automatically-compiling
your JS/CSS so you can debug it.
--
Jordan O'Mara <jomara at redhat.com>
Red Hat Engineering, Raleigh