[openstack-dev] [Horizon] Less compiler dependency

Jiri Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Tue Dec 10 15:41:06 UTC 2013

On 12/09/2013 12:47 PM, Jaromir Coufal wrote:
> Hey all Horizoners,
>
> This is last time I am trying to bring this concern up (well at least
> last time for a while :)). But...
>
> Watching latest progress with updating Bootstrap to v3 and dealing
> with compiling issues, I am more and more concerned about dependency
> on lesscpy. Currently the library supports only some features of less.
> It is very small and very young project, containing one or two
> maintainers. We are already waiting couple of months so that we can
> update to Bootstrap 3 because of this dependency. And all of these
> problems will not disappear once we update Bootstrap. Because the
> library will support certain use cases but when Horizon will grow we
> will use more advanced features which the library will not have
> covered. And we will be blocked by the same issue over and over again.
>
> So I would like to ask everybody, if we can reconsider this dependency
> and find some other alternative. I know we moved from nodejs, because
> it is packaging nightmare. But honestly, better to invest more into
> packaging than being blocked months waiting for features we need to
> get in. If we find some alternative for both, it is win for us. But
> current situation is making me nervous.
>
> Thanks
> -- Jarda

Hi all,

So in IRC discussion we agreed to try 3 approaches how to resolve the
problem:

1/ Try to dive into Lesscpy and help with making it support Bootstrap 3
(and gradually all less features), subsequently keep it up to date.

2/ Investigate using lessc with other js engine than nodejs (eg. Rhino)

3/ Have production and development environment in Horizon, where
development includes nodejs, release compiled css as well as less files.
The styling customization would then require user to recompile
stylesheets with his changes. On the other hand we'd have nodejs present
in development envitonment and be able to use other tools that require it.

Jirka