[openstack-dev] When should things get added to Oslo.Incubator

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Tue Dec 3 22:30:33 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 10:42 +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
> Hey - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/57022/7//COMMIT_MSG - I
> strongly suggested here that reusing the Nova object code is the first
> step towards an objects library, and that we should be putting it in
> olso; there are some reasonable concerns about this being experimental
> but...
>
> The Oslo wiki page says:
> The process of developing a new Oslo API usually begins by taking code
> which is common to some OpenStack projects and moving it into the
> oslo-incubator repository. New APIs live in the incubator until they
> have matured to meet the criteria described above.
>
> So if this code lands in solum as-is, its now common - to me that
> means we should be going straight to oslo.incubator and working on
> shared code.
>
> However there's clearly an expectation mismatch - so - any thoughts?

Speaking to Devananda about the copy of the code in Ironic, he made the
case that Ironic was just going to sync the code from Nova without
making modifications to it until the code was ready to graduate as a
standalone library or move to oslo-incubator.

That actually does make some sense - I've often described oslo-incubator
as "managed copy and paste". It still sucks, but not as much as the copy
and paste we've done previously where the multiple copies of the same
code evolved independently.

Now, in the case of this Solum import, it does look like this is a fork
of the Nova code. Unless there's some realistic plan to reconcile these
forks, then I think it is a problem and quite short-sighted.

Mark.