[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Cinder] Driver qualification

Duncan Thomas duncan.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 17:53:11 UTC 2013

On 30 July 2013 21:36, Mark Washenberger <mark.washenberger at markwash.net> wrote:
> - I'd love to use this as a way to OpenStack-validate plugins that live
> outside of the project--and then kick most plugins out of the project to
> some other semi-canonical area.

I don't think I'm alone within the cinder team in seeing significant
benefit to keeping plugins within the cinder code base - they benefit
not just from the eyes of reviewers, but also from the mindshare of
developers. Since we know (or can go and look) at how various plugins
are using (or abusing) the interfaces we provide, we can keep that in
mind when making changes, and fix up obvious cases. Once things are in
a separate repo, you get all sorts of painful version skew type
problems, and everybody has less insight into how the code behaves as
a whole.

> - I don't think the test infrastructure should depend wholly on
> devstack--while that makes a ton of sense for plugins that depend on other
> OpenStack services working, I think its pretty crufty that we have plugins
> that depend on other openstack services. I'd rather not to weigh the good
> down with the bad.

The nature of some of the cinder drivers is that they require some
other services - e.g. some drivers snapshot to glace, all drivers
(should be able to) backup to glance, some drivers are tenant aware,
etc. Devstack is as good a 'standard platform' as we've got at the
moment... You could allow the validation suite to be run against any
openstack install, but then automated collection of the cinder.conf
and similar niceties becomes much harder.

+1 for John's approach