[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] Proposal: Get rid of deleted column

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 21:44:03 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> We should take a look at look at the various entities in the various
> database schemata and ask the following questions:
>
> 1) Do we care about archival of the entity?
>
> 2) Do we care about audit history of changes to the entity?

For #1 and #2, really this sounds like another thing doing this along with
Ceilometer. I would really like to leave this in Ceilometer and not have
each project get more complex in having to keep track of this on their own.
I start having fears of discrepancy bugs of what projects' audit say and
what Ceilometer audit says.

Have Ceilometer do audits, keep temporary logs for specified time, and
leave it up to the ops user to collect and archive the information that's
important to them.

To answer your original question, I say just get rid of the column and do a
hard delete. We didn't have Ceilometer then, so we no longer need to keep
track in each project.

Migration path of course should be thought of for the users that need this
information archived if we decide to get rid of the columns.

-Mike Perez