[openstack-dev] Swift, netifaces, PyPy, and cffi

Chmouel Boudjnah chmouel at enovance.com
Wed Aug 14 09:25:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:

> a) cffi-only approach, this is obviously the simplest approach, and works
> everywhere (assuming you can install a PPA, use pip, or similar for cffi)
> b) wait until the next LTS to move to this approach (requires waiting
> until 2014 for PyPy support)
> c) Support using either netifaces or cffi: most complex, and most code,
> plus "one or the other" dependencies aren't well supported by most tools as
> far as I know.

I think it sucks for large public cloud already in production to have to
package a new python module and having to deploy it when most of them are
pretty conservative with what goes in production, and we can't really
assume they are going to update all their LTS to the new version when it's
going to be released.

Having said that there is people interested to know what performances
improvement can come out from your work (thanks for that) to get PyPy
support

If there is a vote I would go for c) then, potentially in the future we
could unify it to just use cffi.

When you are saying 'plus "one or the other" dependencies aren't well
supported by most tools as far as I know' are you talking about apt/pip
etc..? I would assume that this is up to the distro packager which knows
that the distro targetted have the cffi package. A far goes for
pip-requires I would conservatively keep the dependence to netifaces.

Chmouel.