[openstack-dev] [Nova] Concern about Havana database migrations

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Mon Aug 12 22:16:43 UTC 2013

Hi.

I have increasing levels of concern about Havana database migrations
and I want to beg for help, especially from nova core reviewers.

Specifically, I don't think its possible to land all of the database
migrations people need before the 22 August proposal freeze. At the
moment I see 10 patches competing for migration number 207 for
example, and only one can take that number. That means the other nine
will need to rebase and go through a re-review, which takes at least a
day. Unfortunately we don't even do that well -- many of these patches
sit around for several days before getting reviewed.

So -- I'd like some help with reviewing database migrations please.
The way I do these reviews is:

 - determine what migration number is currently the next one free from
git (currently 208 because Dan just approved 207) [1].

 - go to http://openstack.stillhq.com/ci/migrations/nova/<number>.html
to see what patchsets have proposed a migration with that number.

 - review them

 - if you're super keen you can also check
http://openstack.stillhq.com/ci for warnings about the migration
first, but I generally keep an eye on that so its not absolutely
required [2].

I would have brought this up at the meeting last week, but I decided
to have a baby instead. I also apologize for my intermittent
availability for the last ten weeks -- its been a complicated
pregnancy and things should get back to normal within the next week or
so.

Thanks,
Michael

1: that list is pretty empty at the moment because 207 only got taken,
but if people reviewed 207 migrations WITHOUT APPROVING THEM then that
would help have a high quality set of 208 proposals.

2: Joshua Hesketh is working on integrating the DB CI testing more
closely into gerrit now, and should have something to show for this
work for the Icehouse release.

--
Rackspace Australia