[openstack-dev] the plan the plan the havana doc plan

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Thu Aug 8 13:49:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,
The doc team has been hard at work producing new titles and improving upon
the existing. We all have a lot of work to do before the Oct. 17th release
but I wanted to report on the doc plans and get your input.

Where we are: there are now 9 core/integrated programs needing
documentation [1]. I'm really excited about the new docs we have for this
release -- the new Virtual Machine Image Guide [2], the new End User
Guide[3], and the new Configuration Reference Guide [4].

Our mission: when people come to docs.openstack.org, they want integrated
docs across projects. We aim to provide completed installation and
configuration docs by the release date. However, the administration guides
may need to go to a "rolling release" where they may not be complete or
accurate for a given release like havana. This is not ideal but is one
tactic for handling the influx of doc needs with the timing of the resource
availability.

Released Oct 17th:
OpenStack Installation Guide - Shaun McCance is contracting for Cisco to
write a new "choose your own adventure" installation guide. We want to get
rid of the four Install Guides we have now and consolidate to one for yum,
one for apt.
OpenStack Configuration Reference - Much of this is auto generated through
Oslo. Look for patches like this one and help a doc writer out when you
can. https://review.openstack.org/#/c/40271/

Continuous release:
For OpenStack Administration and Operation:
 - Block Storage Service Administration Guide
 - Compute Administration Guide (contains Identity and Images)
 - Networking Administration Guide
 - Object Storage Administration Guide
 - Admin User Guide
 - Operations Guide
 - High Availability Guide
 - Security Guide
 - Virtual Machine Image Guide

For OpenStack APIs and CLIs:
 - End User Guide
 - API Quick Start
 - API Complete Reference
 - Block Storage Service API v2 Reference
 - Compute API v2 and Extensions Reference
 - Identity Service API v2.0 Reference
 - Networking API v2.0 Reference
 - Image Service API v2 Reference
 - Image Service API v1 Reference
 - Object Storage API v1 Reference
 - Programming Compute API with Shell and Python, 1st ed.

We track doc bugs against them and with the incoming DocImpact targeting we
know we have over 70 doc bugs ready to be worked on. [5] I know that in
your weekly meetings many of you are going to focus on docs after the
feature freeze and we want to help you find the right placement for the
docs. I know it's a daunting list of titles but we're here to help.

Let me know your input on "continuous release with bug tracking" for the
guides in the list above. If you have additional ideas, I'd love to hear
them. I'm definitely pondering the integrated programs doc strategies and
open to ideas. We've been discussing on openstack-docs but want to bring
the discussion to a larger group so please reply to openstack-dev.

Thanks,
Anne

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Programs
2. http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-image/content/