[openstack-dev] Osl and dangerous code merging

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 8 12:39:52 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> The idea of using submodules has come a few times. I don't have a
> fundamental objection to it, except any time I've seen submodules used
> in a project they've been extremely painful for everyone involved.

Last time this was raised the conclusion was that there must be a
handful of people on the planet knowing how to use git submodules in the
right[tm] way, so using them on a project with as many developers as
OpenStack would be a recipe for failure and raising the bar to
contributing. For one person who understands and uses them correcly,
you'd have ten that don't.

Since today we have about 5 times as many contributors as we had last
time this was brought up, I'm not sure the demographics of the project
play in favor of that option.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)