[openstack-dev] Motion to start using Gerrit for TC votes

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Aug 8 12:30:23 UTC 2013

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> I think what Monty might be getting at is that TC decisions would no
> longer happen by default with people voting at a particular TC meeting.
> Rather a discussion would happen on the mailing list with people casting
> their votes in gerrit as the discussion evolves and, at some point, a
> proposal has enough +2 votes (and no -2 votes) such that it's
> automatically considered passed.

That still leaves me a bit worried: I don't really want "enough +2" to
result in passing fast motions, without giving the -2 party a chance to
convince the others of the flaws in the proposal.

I guess we can fix that by imposing a few rules on when a vote can be
considered fully cast (require that the motion is discussed in at least
one meeting, consider it abandoned/rejected if it doesn't reach enough
+2 after n meetings).

> Maybe this could be a good default way for us to decide on things, but
> if we reach an impasse in gerrit or if a decision has been reached in
> gerrit by some required date, then we have a final TC IRC meeting and
> standard meetbot vote to settle it.

We could still use the review system to settle it during the final
meeting: just consider non-cast votes as "abstain" and use our quorum rules.

Something like:

- Propose motion
(>4 days -- commenting/voting is open but can't be closed yet)
- TC meeting about motion
(7 days -- during that period if the vote gathers enough +2 (or -2) the
vote will be passed or rejected)
- Final TC meeting about motion: votes not cast by the end of the
meeting will be considered "abstain" and quorum rules apply

(For complex discussions we could have multiple meetings before calling
for a "final TC meeting".)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)