[openstack-dev] Motion to start using Gerrit for TC votes

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Aug 8 10:45:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 10:55 +0200, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Monty Taylor wrote:
> >> * How do we handle proxies ? Giving temporary +2 to a non-TC member
> >> sounds like a bit of pain
> >
> > I do not think we'd need proxies anymore - as the vote wouldn't have to
> > happen within the IRC meeting.
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I usually wait for the meeting to actually make
> my mind about a motion. I'm listening to the objections others raise and
> sometimes discover they noticed something I missed, get convinced by
> them and join them. That's why so many discussions end up with
> consensus: a common TC position forms during the meeting.
>
> I think that's a very good thing, and I would hate to lose that.
> Encouraging pre-meeting/async vote on the code review sounds like a step
> in losing this consensus mode in which we operated until now.
>
> Proxying is not just about carrying a pre-determined vote and pasting it
> on an IRC channel... It's about trusting someone to make the decision
> you would have made if you had been present.
>
> So I'd rather set up proxies with a temporary +2/-2 right than encourage
> people to skip the meeting, the discussion and the opportunity to get TC
> members consensus in our decisions.

I think what Monty might be getting at is that TC decisions would no
longer happen by default with people voting at a particular TC meeting.
Rather a discussion would happen on the mailing list with people casting
their votes in gerrit as the discussion evolves and, at some point, a
proposal has enough +2 votes (and no -2 votes) such that it's
automatically considered passed.

Maybe this could be a good default way for us to decide on things, but
if we reach an impasse in gerrit or if a decision has been reached in
gerrit by some required date, then we have a final TC IRC meeting and
standard meetbot vote to settle it.

Cheers,
Mark.