[openstack-dev] Motion to start using Gerrit for TC votes

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Tue Aug 6 20:55:36 UTC 2013

Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Currently, we make motions by email, then we discuss them by mailing
> list, then we discuss them more in IRC, then we vote on them - at which
> point the actual thing voted on may or may not get recorded somewhere
> easy to find.
>
> What if instead we had a repo with a bunch of ReStructureText in it -
> perhaps a copy of the TC charter and then a dir for additional things
> the TC has decided. That repo would be autopublished to a non-wiki
> website ... and the core team for the repo was the TC. EXCEPT, we didnt'
> do a 2 core +2 thing ... we'd have some slightly different rules. Such
> as - certain number of days it has to be open, certain number of +1
> votes, etc. And then only the TC chair has the actual APRV vote, which
> is used to codify the vote tallies.
>
> This would allow for clear voting by both the TC and others - is
> consistent with tooling we ALL know how to use, and has the benefit of
> producing a clear published record of the results when it's done. That
> way also, TC members and others can do a decent amount of the actual
> discussion outside of TC meeting, and we can save meeting time for
> resolution of issues/questions that simply cannot be sorted out via
> gerrit process.

I like this idea because it also solves the following problems:

* Votes are more strongly authenticated (and not affected by random
  people in IRC (I grant this has not been a huge problem so far, it's
  easy to mentally subtract a vote from someone who wanders in).

* There is a clear and easy record of not only exactly what the TC voted
  on, but the current present state of the project governance.  An easy
  reference for what resolutions, rules, processes, etc are in effect.

That last one seems important to me, because sometimes it seems like
understanding of project governance is verging on tribal knowledge, with
even members of the TC disagreeing over what may or may not have been
decided previously.  This will help everyone whether new to the project
or not, understand what our current processes and decisions are.

-Jim