[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Future of nova's image API

John Garbutt john at johngarbutt.com
Mon Aug 5 14:26:20 UTC 2013

On 3 August 2013 03:07, Christopher Yeoh <cbkyeoh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some people had concerns about exposing the glance api publicly and so
> wanted to retain the images support in Nova.
> So the consensus seemed to be to leave the images support in, but to demote
> it from core. So people who don't want it exclude the os-images extension.

I think a lot of the concern was around RBAC, but seems most of that
will be fixed by the end of Havana:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/glance/+spec/api-v2-property-protection

Given v3 is will not be "finished" till Icehouse, maybe we should look
at removing os-images extension for now, and putting it back in for
Icehouse if it causes people real headaches?

> Just as I write this I've realised that the servers api currently returns
> links to the image used for the instance. And that won't be valid if the
> images extension is not loaded. So probably have some work to do there to
> support  that properly.

Have we decided a good strategy for this in v3? Referring to image in
glance, and networks and ports in neutron.

The pragmatic part of me says:
* just use the uuid, its what the users will input when booting servers

But I wonder if a REST purest would say:
* an image is a REST resource, so we should have a URL pointing to the
exposed glance service?

What do you think? I just want to make sure we make a deliberate choice.

John