[openstack-dev] [nova][glance] Future of nova's image API

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Sat Aug 3 00:39:59 UTC 2013

On 08/02/2013 05:23 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> even though Glance, has been pulled out of Nova years ago, Nova still
> has a images API that proxies back to Glance.  Since Nova is in the
> process of creating a new, V3, API, we know have a chance to re-evaluate
> this API.
>
> * Do we still need this in Nova, is there any reason to not just use
> Glance directly?  I have vague concerns about making Glance API publicly
> accessible, but I am not sure what the underlying reason is

I want the glance API everywhere publicly right now!!! :)

> * If it is still needed in Nova today, can we remove it in the future
> and if so what is the timeline?

Honestly, I think we should ditch it. Glance is our image service, not
nova, we should use it. For user-experience stuff,
python-openstackclient should be an excellent way to expose both through
a single tool without needing to proxy one service through another.