[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Splitting the Baremetal driver out of Nova

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Mon Apr 29 17:49:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:07 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 04/29/2013 08:57 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > It can look like this:
> > * Copy the code to a new project, make it work
> > * File and get accepted for incubation before mid-H cycle
> > * Graduate at the end of H to be an Integrated project in I
> >
> > The only tricky bit is, can we mark nova-baremetal deprecated in H
> > release, while there is no Ironic "integrated" release before the "I"
> > release time ? Or should nova-baremetal be marked deprecated at the
> > start of the I cycle and fully removed in J ?
> >
> > Given that nova-baremetal is pretty new and that we should have a usable
> > version of Ironic around H release time, I think marking nova-baremetal
> > deprecated in Havana Nova is acceptable...
> This all sounds good to me.  One other thing I would note is the
> importance of some sort of migration path.  We released it, so we need
> to carry those users along into the Ironic world.  As long as that is
> covered in the H development timeframe, I wouldn't have a problem
> marking nova-baremetal deprecated in H.
> --
> Russell Bryant
> _______________________________________________
> OpenStack-TC mailing list
> OpenStack-TC at lists.openstack.org
> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-tc

Maybe it would make more sense rather than deciding how fast the project is
promoted today, instead we focus on acceptance of the separate project, and
further in the cycle make the determination of incubation status etc.

Even with Cinder this is how we went about it, we didn't say up front "skip
incubation" as I recall.  Instead, we first decided "yes/no" on new
project, then around the third milestone IIRC we voted on the next phase,
incubation or skip etc based on how things went during the release cycle
(gerrit, following the process etc etc).

Just my opinion but I don't think there's enough data to say today/this
week that we should "skip incubation" and short cut.  If we look at how
things are shaping up 3 months from now we'd actually have data to put into
the context of the decision.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/attachments/20130429/ee19250d/attachment.html>

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list