[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] Splitting the Baremetal driver out of Nova

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Apr 29 13:07:05 UTC 2013

On 04/29/2013 08:57 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> It can look like this:
> * Copy the code to a new project, make it work
> * File and get accepted for incubation before mid-H cycle
> * Graduate at the end of H to be an Integrated project in I
>
> The only tricky bit is, can we mark nova-baremetal deprecated in H
> release, while there is no Ironic "integrated" release before the "I"
> release time ? Or should nova-baremetal be marked deprecated at the
> start of the I cycle and fully removed in J ?
>
> Given that nova-baremetal is pretty new and that we should have a usable
> version of Ironic around H release time, I think marking nova-baremetal
> deprecated in Havana Nova is acceptable...

This all sounds good to me.  One other thing I would note is the
importance of some sort of migration path.  We released it, so we need
to carry those users along into the Ironic world.  As long as that is
covered in the H development timeframe, I wouldn't have a problem
marking nova-baremetal deprecated in H.

--
Russell Bryant