[openstack-dev] Havana image interchange & other image conversion tools

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 08:45:08 UTC 2013

I'm not at the Portland conference, but I was sent this link a couple
of days ago:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-image-interchange

We've been developing open source tools in this area for about 3
years.  Firstly virt-v2v[1] & virt-p2v which could "just" do
{physical, ESX, RHEL, RHEL Xen} -> KVM.  Now guestconv[2] which will
shortly do that, plus bidirectional conversion, partial image copies,
resizing and more.

This work is funded by Red Hat, and is all 100% open source and
developed in the open (see #libguestfs on FreeNode).  We have a team
of 5 people, and a huge amount of real production experience with
customers using the old virt-v2v.

Also, libguestfs has lots of tools which could be useful for OpenStack
users, for example:

http://libguestfs.org/virt-df.1.html
http://libguestfs.org/virt-resize.1.html
http://libguestfs.org/virt-sysprep.1.html
http://libguestfs.org/virt-sparsify.1.html

We want to work closely with OpenStack, changing things if necessary
to make it work well on OpenStack.

So I guess what I want to do is open up a discussion about this and
ask what we can do to help here.

Rich.

[1] http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v/
[2] https://github.com/mdbooth/guestconv