[openstack-dev] Havana image interchange & other image conversion tools

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 06:08:47 UTC 2013

> I'm not at the Portland conference, but I was sent this link a couple
> of days ago:
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/havana-image-interchange
>
> We've been developing open source tools in this area for about 3
> years.  Firstly virt-v2v[1] & virt-p2v which could "just" do
> {physical, ESX, RHEL, RHEL Xen} -> KVM.  Now guestconv[2] which will
> shortly do that, plus bidirectional conversion, partial image copies,
> resizing and more.
>
> This work is funded by Red Hat, and is all 100% open source and
> developed in the open (see #libguestfs on FreeNode).  We have a team
> of 5 people, and a huge amount of real production experience with
> customers using the old virt-v2v.
>
> Also, libguestfs has lots of tools which could be useful for OpenStack
> users, for example:
>
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-df.1.html
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-resize.1.html
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-sysprep.1.html
> http://libguestfs.org/virt-sparsify.1.html
>
> We want to work closely with OpenStack, changing things if necessary
> to make it work well on OpenStack.
>
> So I guess what I want to do is open up a discussion about this and
> ask what we can do to help here.

+gazillion.

Not to be undermined - As a user of this project since its inception, the sheer amount of
detailed technical documentation for libguestfs usage, the C API (guestfs), the bindings
associated w/ libguestfs is almost unparallel.

	- http://libguestfs.org/
	- http://libguestfs.org/guestfs.3.html

--
/kashyap