[openstack-dev] [Heat] TOSCA, CAMP, CloudFormation, ???

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 06:11:03 UTC 2013

On 12/04/13 00:03 +0000, Adrian Otto wrote:
>Heat Team,
>
>On Apr 9, 2013, at 11:24 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:
>
>[snip]
>> * Open DSL w/ Declarative model(undefined yet)
>
>[snip]
>
>Here is the definition of what we are willing to contribute to Heat.
>
>https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/open-api-dsl
>https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/DSL
>https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Open_API
>
>Rackspace has a production Python implementation of this that has a year's worth of refinement since the first working prototype. We see this as one of several template formats that Heat could support. Pursuit of this DSL would not preclude us from also adding TOSCA and CAMP compliance, when those are desired. The Heat/Open_API Wiki page offered as a minimalistic description of the simplest API that will fully support the functionality in the DSL.
>
>Please note that this is not written as a full specification. It's not detailed enough to write a new implementation from without additional detail. However, it should give you a good idea of how our contribution would work.

That is a good start, can you put a complete working dsl-blueprint? These
sometimes more sense when you can see a full example or two.

Given we are in OpenStack and we use launchpad blueprints, my first
suggestion is to rename the dsl-blueprint so we don't have to keep
doing this -> "dsl-blueprint". (template/recipe/plan/spec/whatever)

If you are quick we can look over it our flights to summit.

The other part that is missing is what guest agent you require/use and how the agent and engine communicate.

Thanks
-Angus