[openstack-dev] [Heat] TOSCA, CAMP, CloudFormation, ???

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Fri Apr 12 00:03:11 UTC 2013

Heat Team,

On Apr 9, 2013, at 11:24 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

[snip]
> * Open DSL w/ Declarative model(undefined yet)

[snip]

Here is the definition of what we are willing to contribute to Heat.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/open-api-dsl
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/DSL
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Heat/Open_API

Rackspace has a production Python implementation of this that has a year's worth of refinement since the first working prototype. We see this as one of several template formats that Heat could support. Pursuit of this DSL would not preclude us from also adding TOSCA and CAMP compliance, when those are desired. The Heat/Open_API Wiki page offered as a minimalistic description of the simplest API that will fully support the functionality in the DSL.

Please note that this is not written as a full specification. It's not detailed enough to write a new implementation from without additional detail. However, it should give you a good idea of how our contribution would work.

I will also file at least one other Blueprint about modularity, which is partially enabled by this proposal.

Regards,

Adrian Otto