[openstack-dev] Thoughts on using Celery with queuing svcs (such as Marconi)

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 17:47:25 UTC 2013

On 04/04/2013 11:47 AM, John Wood wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> We are investigating approaches to messaging with queuing systems such
> as the new Marconi project, and were curious if people had opinions or
> preferences. We are working on an application that might become part of
> OpenStack in the future, so we would like to choose the most palatable
> options now.
>
> We are considering using Celery, as some members of the team have
> extensive experience with it. Would that be acceptable to use over
> the Oslo RPC approach
> <http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-rpc.html> for
> example?

I'd prefer to see Oslo RPC improved (possibly with the use of Celery
libs?) rather than diverge unnecessarily.

A long long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, before Oslo even
materialized, I proposed using Celery as the underlying RPC management:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/bexar-message-queue-celery

The idea never went anywhere.

Best,
-jay