[openstack-dev] [ OpenStack dev ] question on templated network info of instance

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:44:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 6:22 PM, heut2008 <heut2008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,all
>         I see the network config template file in
> nova/virt/interfaces.template ,and it seems to be used for config an
> instance with static ip,also  this template now only  is a debian
> format . I don't find a  flag  used for  choosing  dhcp or static
> template file which is injected to instance disk file.
> my question is should nova support  static ip configration by inject
> network info to disk file in the future? if so, should we support
> multi linux systems such as RHEL ?

This was already discussed on this list[1] and there's open bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/678395

Currently, openstack-nova RPM in Fedora overwrites this template with its
own:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/openstack-nova.git/tree/nova-ifc-template
But it doesn't really help: _inject_net_into_fs in nova/virt/disk/api.py
has hardcoded /etc/network/interfaces so neither Fedora(wrong path) nor
Debian(wrong content) based guests will work.
This template also ends up in "network_config" metadata, which latest
cloud-init expects in Debian format and tries to translate to distro
specific format[2]
As noted, netcf could be a solution as a distro neutral format, but
question is really how common is flat injected use-case?

Cheers,
Alan

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/openstack@lists.launchpad.net/msg07532.html
[2]