[openstack-dev] The future of Incubation and Core

Sean Dague sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Nov 8 12:43:40 UTC 2012

On 11/08/2012 06:57 AM, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hey
>
> I think too much of this discussion has been about the fairly arbitrary
> names we have for different classes of projects. The term "Core" isn't
> actually all that useful to us in the discussion, or more generally,
> because everyone has their own idea of what the term means.
>
> There are two important things being discussed here - our vision for the
> coordinated OpenStack releases and the rules around the use of the
> OpenStack trademark.

I think there is actually a 3rd thing as well, who gets first class
infrastructure support. The infrastructure team provides a huge service
to "core" projects today, the ability to layer in really complex gates
and periodic jobs.

That's a finite resource in terms of people and cpu cycles, and
something we shouldn't take for granted (especially as non of those
folks are currently openstack.org employees IIRC, and the cpu cycles are
donated today, not purchased by openstack.org).