[openstack-dev] Automate backup images

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Fri Nov 2 18:22:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Édouard Thuleau <thuleau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could you send me some comments/feedback on this blueprint ?

Hi Édouard!

I am very glad to see more people interested in this feature.

However, I think that we should not expose to end users a cron-like
functionality in OpenStack. Many of the operations that we do in
OpenStack, such as instance snapshots, are resource intensive. If we
allow end users to specify to the minute the time at which an action
should be performed, it is likely that simple common psychology will
cause many actions to be triggered at the same time, amounting to a
DoS attack generated from our own cloud cron service.

With this in mind, I think it is better to offer an api that says "do
{some action} daily", which would allow deployers to spread the
workload throughout the day, and even redistribute the workload if
problems arise.

Thanks!

Mark Washenberger