[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Version compatibility and bug fixes

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Thu Jul 26 14:00:30 UTC 2012

The discussion on the dev list about David Kranz's proposal for avoiding
breakages: http://etherpad.openstack.org/Hn8rKP7XgB got me thinking
about the changes that have gone in recently into Keystone.
Specifically,  we have changed a bunch of return codes amongs the
various 400 series depending on the current thinking if something should
be "Unauthorized" versus "Forbidden".  This will probably mess someone up.

At the level of service.py or any of the other Python objects that
actually return error codes, they do not have a way to check the API
version.  When the time comes to implement V3.0,  we are going to need
a better mechanism to distinguish between the V2 and V3 code paths.  Has
any thought gone into this?  Are we going to support V2 and V3 in the
same code base?

It might be worthwhile to bump the minor version number for the Keystone
API for Folsom,  to indicate that the V2 contract is not supported: V2.1.