[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Version compatibility and bug fixes

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Thu Jul 26 14:25:03 UTC 2012

On 7/26/2012 10:00 AM, Adam Young wrote:
> The discussion on the dev list about David Kranz's proposal for
> avoiding breakages: http://etherpad.openstack.org/Hn8rKP7XgB got me
> thinking about the changes that have gone in recently into Keystone.
> Specifically,  we have changed a bunch of return codes amongs the
> various 400 series depending on the current thinking if something
> should be "Unauthorized" versus "Forbidden".  This will probably mess
> someone up.
>
> At the level of service.py or any of the other Python objects that
> actually return error codes, they do not have a way to check the API
> version.  When the time comes to implement V3.0,  we are going to
> need  a better mechanism to distinguish between the V2 and V3 code
> paths.  Has any thought gone into this?  Are we going to support V2
> and V3 in the same code base?
>
> It might be worthwhile to bump the minor version number for the
> Keystone API for Folsom,  to indicate that the V2 contract is not
> supported: V2.1.

I may be missing something but I think a minor version bump indicates
that the original version *is* supported. I added to the etherpad a
suggestion that there be an API  to query an endpoint for the minor
version number it supports. That would give clients a way to know if
functions that were compatibly added in a new minor version are available.

  -David