[openstack-dev] [Netstack] [Quantum] Starting a discussion on the official spec for v2 API

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 20:43:26 UTC 2012

On 07/17/2012 03:57 PM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
> Adding openstack-dev, as all discussion should go on there.
>
> I think we need to be very careful here, as people are championing a
> "network type" field, but for two very different use cases that I feel
> don't make sense together.

I agree we need to be careful here.

As another data point, phase 2 of the provider networks BP
implementation will likely introduce a "provider:network_type" extended
attribute that indicates the physical networking technology underlying
the virtual network (i.e. vlan vs flat, which will both be supported by
the openvswitch and linuxbridge plugins). This is certainly a different
attribute than the network shareability indicated by Salvatore's
"public" attribute, or the multi-plugin-selection indicated by Nachi's
attribute.

I favor Salvatore's current boolean "public" attribute, unless we really
think that there will eventually be more than two choices, in which case
maybe we should call it "shareability" or "visibility" or something similar.

-Bob