[openstack-dev] [nova] tox and virtual environments

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at au1.ibm.com
Tue Dec 18 13:44:35 UTC 2012

Hi,

I noticed some strange behaviour today when running the nova tests and
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding how the virtual environment works
or if there is a bug. Either way I'd appreciate it if someone could
explain to me what is going on.

I had difficulty getting the nova tests to run again
once https://review.openstack.org/#/c/18208 had gone through. I
encountered a bunch of errors indicating that StringStream could not
be found.

Fortunately due to some previous IRC conversations I knew that this
was most likely due to an old version of fixtures being present. But
when I checked in the .tox directory I saw that fixtures 0.3.12 which
is required had in fact been downloaded. Eventually I realised/guessed
that my normal environment had fixtures 0.3.10 installed which was
causing the problem. As soon as I upgraded that to 0.3.12 everything
was fine.

But I'm still confused as to why the version of fixtures outside of
the virtual environment should affect the way the nova regression
tests are run because surely they're meant to be using the version of
packages inside the virtual environment. Can anyone help with an
explanation of what is going on?

Regards,

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com