[openstack-dev] [Quantum][LBaaS] Selecting an LBaaS device given a service type

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Mon Dec 17 10:13:20 UTC 2012

Hi Eugene,

please find my replies inline.

Salvatore

On 11 December 2012 08:39, Eugene Nikanorov <enikanorov at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Hi Salvatore,
>
> Couple of questions regarding service_types:
>
> 1) At which point client (tenant) indicates service_type it wants?
> I mean there is nothing yet in tenant API that references service_type.

Indeed I want to provide a sample extension API for the dummy plugin
to show how it's supposed to work.
To cut a long story short, the service type should be optionally
specified at resource creation time; for load balancing this would be
when you create the VIP.
If it's not specified, the default service type should be used. Of
course the scheduling mechanisms currently under discussion might take
this input as a hint for the device selection.

> 2) Once service_type is identified, it should be somehow associated with
> logical objects created with this service_type so further requests for these
> objects don't require service type?

Yes, it would be pointless to keep sending this attribute in each request.
> 3) Why do we need "plugin" in service type? Should tenant be aware of
 plugin
> it's going to use?

That's forward looking. At the moment we have a single plugin for each
class of service, but during the review process for your patch we
discussed the possibility of having multiple plugins for the same type
of service, and we concluded that it was a good idea, but it was
better to proceed one step at a time.