[openstack-dev] New to Openstack

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Sat Dec 15 17:17:16 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Sankha Narayan Guria <sankha93 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to OpenStack and I would like to contribute to its development. I
> have an OpenStack instance on my machine running already.
>
> It will be great if somebody can tell me about some documentation to
> understand the flow of control in the OpenStack code. Are there any list of
> easy bugs to get experience on working with its code?
>
> Thanks,
> Sankha Narayan Guria

> Hi Sankha,

Welcome, and yes there's plenty of work to do :)

If you haven't already done so, I'd check out the "Welcome Guide" found
here: [1]

Also from that same page check out the How To Contribute Wiki page here: [2]

As far as how to jump in, it kinda of depends on your interests/expertise,
it might be helpful to start with the projects wiki [3] to get an idea of
the different projects and what they do.  Once you've sorted through all of
that you can check out the launchpad page for each project and if you go to
the bugs section you'll notice on the right hand side of the page there are
tags for bugs including "low hanging fruit", that's where you might want to
start.

Anyway, hopefully that at least gives you some info, to go on.  You also
should check out IRC to get help from folks real time.

Thanks and hope to see ya around in the community,
John

[1] http://www.openstack.org/community/
[2] http://wiki.openstack.org/HowToContribute
[3] http://wiki.openstack.org/Projects