[openstack-dev] [Openstack-dev][Quantum][LBaaS] Quantum components needed for the LBaaS service

Youcef Laribi Youcef.Laribi at eu.citrix.com
Wed Dec 5 23:01:24 UTC 2012

The discussion on scheduling has prompted me to think that there are several inter-linked components that we have so far not discussed in detail, and I'm worried that diving into implementation without understanding how the different components will eventually fit together will create us problems later on. For example, we haven't so far discussed the APIs for "service type" management (and this is creating confusion in other thread discussions), or for device management, as these have impact on the LBaaS piece. We need to understand the big picture of the components that will be in place, their dependencies, and the vendor-specific pieces and where they would be located.

To start this discussion I have drawn an initial picture with the components that I think would need to be in place. So let's start discussing the need for each component, its functions, where does it live (is it a Quantum plugin? is it something else?), what are the dependencies on the other components (in terms of interactions or DB sharing). The component diagram is here: http://wiki.openstack.org/Quantum/LBaaS?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Quantum+Services+components.png

I want us to discuss this in a little bit more detail, before we get too much into implementation and realize the thorny issues later on.

Thanks
Youcef