[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Nova and virtual NICs

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue Aug 28 20:52:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Ian Wells <ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk> wrote:
> On 28 August 2012 22:08, Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com> wrote:
>> Giving the tenant a 400 is a clean response from a design perspective,
>> but it worries me, as my sense is that people have gotten used to
>> spinning up nova VMs without specifying networks.
>
> I appreciate your point.  A reasonable compromise would be that if a
> tenant truly has only one network available, boot; if there's more or
> less than one, don't boot.

I think this is a reasonable design point.

This covers your case above, doesn't have
> complex 'choosing networks' behaviour, and doesn't default to 'one NIC
> per network' behaviour which is almost never what you want to happen
> when you start a machine

I wouldn't say "almost never", as I've actually had several customers
who had a default setups where VMs had two NICs (one public, one
back-end private).  In fact, the reason nova worked this way in the
first place was because a very large and early contributor has a
public cloud that works that way today, with two NICs per VM.

Changing this behavior would, I think, break things for such
deployments, though I think its a pretty nice point in the design
space and one I'm more comfortable with than the 400 approach.  To me
it fits the 'simple is simple, complex is more complex' motto :)

Dan