[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Nova and virtual NICs

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 20:30:14 UTC 2012

On 28 August 2012 22:08, Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com> wrote:
> Giving the tenant a 400 is a clean response from a design perspective,
> but it worries me, as my sense is that people have gotten used to
> spinning up nova VMs without specifying networks.

I appreciate your point.  A reasonable compromise would be that if a
tenant truly has only one network available, boot; if there's more or
less than one, don't boot.  This covers your case above, doesn't have
complex 'choosing networks' behaviour, and doesn't default to 'one NIC
per network' behaviour which is almost never what you want to happen
when you start a machine (and could lead to dangerous mistakes from
simple finger slips).

--
Ian.