[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Nova and virtual NICs

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Aug 27 17:42:44 UTC 2012

Hi Gary,

I'm really glad you mentioned this.  This is something we were
planning on re-visiting after the initial nova/quantum v2 integration in F-2,
but we never did.  In Essex, which is that if no networks are
specified, the VM gets a NIC on each network it has access to (either
a private network owned by the tenant, or a 'public/shared' network).

Here's one possible approach: the cloud operator can specify an
ordered list of network-ids as part of Nova config.  A VM with no
networks specified via the API will get that ordered set of NICs.  If no such
networks are specified in the config, we could either give VMs no NICs
(probably not a great user experience) or default to giving a VM a NIC
on each shared network (would need a way to deterministically order
these shared networks for this to be reasonable).

Dan