[openstack-dev] [Quantum] Nova and virtual NICs

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon Aug 27 23:57:11 UTC 2012

On 27 August 2012 19:42, Dan Wendlandt <dan at nicira.com> wrote:
> Here's one possible approach: the cloud operator can specify an
> ordered list of network-ids as part of Nova config.  A VM with no
> networks specified via the API will get that ordered set of NICs.  If no such
> networks are specified in the config, we could either give VMs no NICs
> (probably not a great user experience) or default to giving a VM a NIC
> on each shared network (would need a way to deterministically order
> these shared networks for this to be reasonable).

Quite honestly (and inviting contention) - if you're changing the
default 'nothing specified' behaviour from one thing to another, I'd
just go the whole hog and make it an error not to specify any networks
at all.  No default is sensible in all circumstances and what you're
describing is really quite complex.

--
Ian.