[openstack-dev] [Quantum] About XML support in Quantum v2 API

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 09:32:05 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 07:33 PM, Paul McMillan wrote:
> On 08/16/2012 04:20 PM, Edgar Magana (eperdomo) wrote:
>> So, is there any rush on having XML support for Folsom? I would say NO.
>> I think we should carefully review what we are supporting for Folsom
>> because it’s going to be our “debut” as core project and the last thing
>> that we want is a service that offers a lot of features but with bugs.
>
> As Edgar said, it makes sense to add XML support when it's feature
> complete and stable, rather than rushing in a half-baked API which then
> must be supported.

++. And I would add that those who desire the XML format support should
do the coding. We've seen what happens when developers who don't work
with XML every day try to add support for it -- and try to maintain it
afterwards.

This is the reason Glance never supported XML. The developers of Glance
don't work with XML and we didn't want to add a half-baked format that
we weren't comfortable with maintaining.

I understand George Reese believes this makes Glance itself half-baked,
but there hasn't been anyone demanding XML format support in Glance yet
that hasn't easily and simply used the JSON format that Glance already
supports. In other words, people asked for XML support in Glance to
check off some "enterprise checklist", but when push came to shove,
nobody really needed it to begin with.

The only tenable solution proposed for this -- and I'm not sure whether
it was George who suggested it or someone else -- is to have XML
serialization driven from a JSON converter, so that you don't have to
maintain multiple format definitions, only the JSON format definition
that can be translated to XML. That way you don't need to maintain lots
of code, only a decent JSON -> XML translation engine that feasibly
could go into openstack-common...

Best,
-jay