[openstack-dev] Problem with debugging program having eventlet.monkey_patch() code

michel.gauthier at bull.net michel.gauthier at bull.net
Fri Aug 17 11:59:18 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I want to debug nova-scheduler service (Essex version)  code with
Eclipse->Pydev->Debug Configuration.
But when I launch it under Debug Configuration, I get the following error
messages :

pydev debugger: starting
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/eventlet/hubs/hub.py", line 336,
in fire_timers
    timer()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/eventlet/hubs/timer.py", line 56,
in __call__
    cb(*args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/eventlet/semaphore.py", line 95,
in _do_acquire
    waiter.switch()
error: cannot switch to a different thread

and then, Pydev debugger does not work!

In fact, these errors are due to the use of eventlet.monkey_patch() inside
nova-scheduler launcher (as well as inside other nova-* launchers).

Do you have any ideas to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance.