[openstack-dev] Question on hostname generation?

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 04:14:02 UTC 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 6:37 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> I was wondering about the following case (and am not sure if its been addressed in folsom).
>
> At yahoo, instead of the default hostname that seems to be automatically established (ie 'server-XYZ.novalocal' was in essex) we were wondering if there is anything in folsom that say lets us override that generation with either a module (or a subclass) or a new function without having to patch nova code. Sometimes we want a default hostname of a different format (as probably do others) and I just am not sure if quantum is directing this default hostname, or if nova still is, or if its some mix of both (the metadata + cloud-init can affect the hostname as well, so perhaps the configdrive work should be the only one establish a 'real' hostname?).
>
> I have found the following pieces of hostname related code but am not sure if this is all the places that make hostnames :-)
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/metadata/base.py#L109
> Is this the only place nowadays?? Is there something in quantum also?

Hostname in metadata (it moved a little):

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/api/metadata/base.py#L122

Hostname from dhcp:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/network/linux_net.py#L811

instance_hostname comes from instance['hostname'] in the db, which is generated here:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/compute/api.py#L636

Seems like there is no plugin mechanism, but one we could easily add a flag that could be a format string applied to the instance record so it is easy to customize.

Vish