[legal-discuss] 3-clause BSD license, Celery

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Dec 2 17:00:44 UTC 2013

While reviewing an incubation request for a new project, Barbican [1], I
see that it would be adding a new dependency, Celery.  As noted below,
Celery uses the 3-clause BSD license.

On 12/02/2013 11:53 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
>>  ** Project must have no library dependencies which effectively restrict how
>>     the project may be distributed [1]
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/stackforge/barbican/tree/tools/pip-requires
>
> It looks like the only item here not in the global requirements is
> Celery, which is licensed under a 3-clause BSD license.
>
> https://github.com/celery/celery/blob/master/LICENSE
>
> A notable point is this clause:
>
>   * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>
> I'm not sure if we have other dependencies using this license already.
> It's also not clear how to interpret this when Python is always
> distributed as source.  We can take this up on the legal-discuss mailing
> list.

My questions:

1) Do we already have dependencies that use this license?  Do we have a
master list somewhere?

2) How does the documentation clause apply for a Python project?

3) If we don't already have dependencies using this license, what do
others thing about accepting it (or not) for OpenStack?

[1]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2013-December/020856.html

--
Russell Bryant