[OpenStack-DefCore] Definition of core

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Fri Oct 28 13:33:10 UTC 2016

> On Oct 28, 2016, at 3:15 PM, Gema Gomez <gema.gomez-solano at linaro.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> at the contributors meetup for QA we have been discussing about whether
> to keep the heat tests that are meant to be for interoperability in
> tempest tree or not. An interesting discussion arised from that.
>
> We are having a discussion (with gmann and oomichi) about whether heat
> could be considered core project or not (if it was core, there would be
> no problem). They have shared this post with us as the definition they
> are using of "core project" they are using:
> https://dague.net/2014/08/26/openstack-as-layers/
>
> Can someone clarify whether this definition is still valid or whether we
> don't use it anymore? Is there any more up to date definition? Any
> comment or clarification welcome.

The Defcore/Interop Working Group scores capabilities against a set of
criteria, and if the score is high enough the capability is considered
for inclusion into the DefCore/Interop guidelines. [1]

After an advisory period, a capability can become required, at which
point a product that obtains the “OpenStack Powered” trademark
against that guideline is required to provide that capability.

Any project that provides a required DefCore capability could be
considered “core” in that regard, but the coreness of that project
and capability may or may not match up with current opinions on
what a core OpenStack project is.

As far as I know, there is no official TC definition of what a core project is.

-Chris

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/defcore/tree/doc/source/process/CoreCriteria.rst <http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/defcore/tree/doc/source/process/CoreCriteria.rst>