[OpenStack-DefCore] Results from Community Meetings > discussion/+1 about reconsidering Havana Swift as a core capability

Rochelle.RochelleGrober rochelle.grober at huawei.com
Wed Sep 17 19:20:28 UTC 2014

(Top posting because this veers significantly and because Outlook has really sucky reply options)

It just struck me that the "OpenStack Powered" discussion is really just another version of the "Made in America" discussion.  And the solution to that eventually evolved into:

Designed and Manufactured in America

% Manufactured (sourced) in America

Assembled in America

(probably others)

Extrapolating from this and various Defcore discussions:

·         We have already defined the core parts of projects vs. non-core as:

o    Plugins are not core

o    Extensions are not core

o    Immature features are not yet core

·         Trademark definition is *not* an engineering issue, it is a business issue

·         One Trademark will not satisfy how the community wants to use the OpenStack bits

So, how about we turn this whole thing on end.

·         We keep Capabilities as defined by maturity, integration and deployment

·         We keep Interop Tests as a certification of Capabilities inclusion in products

·         We come up with a %OpenStack based on something like APIs, functionality, LOC (I don’t recommend this one) and come decide on a minimum percentage to be met to call a product “powered by OpenStack” or “Built on OpenStack” or “100% OpenStack” or etc.

This approach allows large inclusion of the mature parts of the OpenStack integrated codebase (developers are happy) but doesn’t require any specific part of the codebase be included (keeps vendors happy).  The IBM Cloud Storage product might include 100% of Swift, but maybe replaces Horizon and might be 70% OpenStack (Or even 100%) with no Nova code or APIs.  Their compute cloud might end up 65% OpenStack based on 100% Nova and some extra code for a proprietary Hypervisor.

Right now I see that the Foundation would have to rely on Vendors to self-report how much extra code that replaces existing OpenStack DefCore capabilities is in their product, but that’s not something that hasn’t been considered before as a short term option.

This approach also gets DefCore out of the politics of Trademark and Business and back to the technical evaluation of maturity (and future direction) of specific OpenStack Integrated features.

Comments? Discussion?  Flames?

--Rocky

Trying to think around the box