[OpenStack-DefCore] DefCore Meeting on Designated Sections, Thursday 11am PT

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Wed Sep 3 14:20:34 UTC 2014

Thierry,

Thanks for your summary [snipped].  The DefCore is working as per the TC recommendation and I'm hopeful that you are correct about consensus technical guideance for Designated Sections since the Board's likely position is towards a smaller core.

I do want to stress that Core is not about picking "important" code.  I agree that all of the code is important.  The DefCore process is about picking long term stable and mature code that serves as the foundation for products and ecosystems.

I suspect the challenge here is that many in the community believe that while APIs should be long term and stable, implementations behind those API need flexibility to innovate.  This was a central theme around the original DefCore principles that the Board implemented in Hong Kong.  The Swift/Ceph challenge is not unique.  There are many places where is a substantial body of the commercial implementations (and user community too) that want the freedom to change parts of the implementation.  This is a widely held position that surfaces often in my numerous discussions about core.

I don't have a position on individual projects or specific vendor products (Dell no longer offer's a standalone OpenStack solution); however, I believe that this principle is imperative for the long term health and overall strength of OpenStack.

Rob