[OpenStack-DefCore] decision review: reporting of Passed/Positive Test Results only

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Tue May 27 19:43:29 UTC 2014

All,

I should have included a note about a discussion/decision that was reached at the summit regarding refstack and reporting of test results.

After some healthy debate, several of us (including Joshua, David Lenwell, Catherine, Rocky and I) agreed it was better to only collect and report PASSED test results for refstack.  All other results (not taken, failed, etc) would show up as "unknown" state.

NOTE: I expect that Refstack code base running in private installs will retain the option to collect all data.  This change applies primarily to the public version.

This addressed several potential issues

1)      Eliminates potential for un-redacted information in log messages

2)      Reduces vendors feeling like their "dirty laundry" was being shown

3)      Allows vendors to skip failing tests but does not create confusion/bias between fails and skips

4)      Creates a smaller amount of information to track

5)      Provides a more positive interoperability statement

6)      Should make it easier to track progress between releases

7)      Avoids having to diagnose issues (why failed) as part of refstack

Overall, we felt this was an important simplification; however, some may consider is change in scope so I wanted to make sure everyone was aware.

Rob
Rob Hirschfeld
Sr. Distinguished Cloud Solution Architect
Dell | Cloud Edge, Data Center Solutions
cell +1 512 909-7219 blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone