[OpenStack-DefCore] DefCore Kickoff Notes > "Lighthouse" Cycle w/ 2+ meetings in next 2 weeks

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Tue May 27 15:24:40 UTC 2014

All,

I'm sending this out to a broad distribution because there's a lot of information in the kick-off notes including requests for help from the TC and PTL (that they are already tracking).  We'll broadcast less in later meetings.

# Summary (compiled by Rob H after meeting)

This meeting was mainly planning for the Lighthouse cycle; however, some decisions were made
1) We decided that we have enough support to push for score cards for all three releases
2) We need to engage actively with the technical community to help score capabilities and identify designated sections
3) We want to complete the Havana capabilities score by 7/4 for community review
4) We need to design an easy to read view of the capabilities (this was already in process by Refstack team)
5) We're starting with a "plain English" version of the by-laws change.  Review at the Face-to-Face.

We've THREE follow-up meetings on the near horizon
1) Another phone meeting on 6/2 or 6/4 to discuss designated sections and other topics
2) We likely need a by-laws meeting to prep for the Face to Face
3) A Face-to-Face meeting on 6/12 in SF area

Full Notes Page: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreLighthouse.1

DEFCORE MEETING AGENDA (Lighthouse.1)

Previous Meeting: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreElephant.8
Next Meeting: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreLighthouse.2
Next Meeting: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreLighthouse.F2F

> note: Join.me recording did not succeed for this meeting
*
## Agenda

This is the cycle kickoff meeting.  The goal is to PLAN discussions in the future, not to resolve the issues.  Joshua and I will play time cop to make sure we plan for future meetings about all topics.

*         (done) review feedback from Summit
*         (done) working with the TC/PTLs to complete the Havana Score Card by OSCON 7/4 target
*         (done) plan for getting Ice House & Juno work started (trigger is OSON)
*         (at F2F) start by-laws change work
*         (done) start "make it easier to understand" version of capabilities score matrix
*         (punt to .2) figure out how/if to address Board question about other marks (e.g.: API only).  This must be connected to the Foundation updates about the "powered" and "compatible" marks.
*         plan face to face on Thurs 6/12 (possible Refstack 6/11)

# Notes

ROLE (Lunch) CALL:
    Rob H
    Joshua McKenty
    Todd Moore
    Alan Clark (multi conf calls)
    Will Auld
    Rocky Grober
    Sean Murphy
    Sean Roberts (cricket, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOHr27acEno)

## Community Feedback from Summit

- Positive from analysts
- community skeptical if it "can be done and done well" and will there be vendor push back
- waiting to see what the score look like
- Troy did a great job helping sell the message
- Not understanding how the marks will be applied, how tests will be created
- many needed more explanation - wanted simpler to understand information
- interop message was understood
- some response from technical people that this will encourage test writing (good thing)

Remaining Issues
- designated sections on Swift
- deprecation of core capabliities / rollout schedule
- ability to version
- a "core api reimplementation" mark CARmark

> RESOLVED: We are on the right track.  Keep going at current (or better) speed.
> RESOLVED: We have some issues (above) but think those are the gaps to resolve

## Cycle Theme: Product Management (was "programs vs projects")
 - May need to resolve this question to help deal with the user perception of "core projects"
 - Step One: Naming (The Province of Regency in the Domain of the Program Kings boundary)
   - Suggestions: Appellation, Jurisdiction, AOC (English: Appellation of controlled origin), DOC(G) same as AOC but Italian instead of French ;-)

## Havana Score Card

Technical Items
1) TC to resolve .5 items
2) TC to coordinate PTLs complete missing items by 7/4
3) Resolve Designated Sections for all core capablities.
4) Rework of capabilities groupings

> ASAP ACTION: We need to have more discussion WITH TC & Foundation Staff about this topic

> RESOLVED: No.  We cannot handle support of non-tempest tests at this time (have to say no to Swift PTL)
*         Swift team needs to work with the RefStack and/or Tempest teams appropriately

Refstack work items
0) Rob will document as specs - Rob will send the review pages
1) Capabilities Matrix "friendly" format - web page(s) that comes out of the JSON file
2) Release per Release Capabilities Report
3) Executive Summary / Header
4) Contract writer via Anne

> RESOLVED: Move forward on formatting items.  Status updates in future meetings

## Ice House & Juno Score Cards

Start Immediately:
1) Determine which tests are new for both releases - bring in Todd & Catherine ( IBM team )
2) Determine process for discussing changes to the criteria scores each release (Sean)

> ACTION: After adding, need to add scoring activity w/ TC
> ACTION: As TC how they want to interact w/ DefCore on scoring
*         POSSIBLE ACTION: Add the individual scores into the JSON
> RESOLVED: Assume scores are automatically inherited and then reviewed.

Expected to scoring start after OSCON (7/15)

## By-laws Changes

Changes to legals will come from a non-legalese vesion

> ACTION: Meeting before Lighthouse.F2F to "plain english" version of changes

FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS (UNSCHEDULED)

 - Technical discussion of tracking diffs to defcore (json in refstack)
 - Designations Impact

## Future Meetings:

*         Lighthouse.2 Agenda > 8am on 6/2 or 6/4 subject to review by Michael Stills

  *   Refstack Update

  *   Designated Code Discussios
*         Lighthouse.F2F Agenda

  *   Wed 6/11 in SF for Refstack. Hours & Location TBD

  *   Thurs 6/12 in SF for Defcore, 11-3 TBD

  *   Bylaws Changes

Rob
Rob Hirschfeld
Sr. Distinguished Cloud Solution Architect
Dell | Cloud Edge, Data Center Solutions
cell +1 512 909-7219 blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone