[User-committee] UC Candidacy

Melvin Hillsman mrhillsman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:28:22 UTC 2018

Please consider this email my self-nomination for the User Committee election.

I had the pleasure of being elected to the OpenStack User Committee last February and it has been an honor serving the community in this capacity. I have dedicated my time over the past year establishing better relationships within the community with Working Groups and Teams, PTLs, TC members, non-OpenStack communities, and other leadership within the OpenStack community. I believe that taking the time to build trust, rapport, and a common understanding has been key to working on a couple items this past year:

Pushing and establishing Special Interest Groups
Setting up the OpenLab initiative

I have continued and plan to continue to make myself available to do the work behind the scenes to strengthen our community in some small way even more. Our leadership has pivoted to focus more on open infrastructure - principles, practices, and patterns - as noted during the Sydney Summit. I would like to continue to serve on the User Committee and plan to work on the following:

1. OpenStack Community
  a. Continue outreach to local user groups and developers to understand and implement what helps us do and be better.

2. User Committee
  a. Help define a strategy for 2018, deliver on it, and establish groundwork for a 2019 strategy.

3. OpenLab
  a. Help with tighter integration of OpenStack and ecosystem tooling/applications.

We have begun to talk about things like how do we increase the impact of events, having a healthier SDK ecosystem, cross-community collaboration, and much more. Again, I hope to get your vote to continue as a User Committee member to continue working on these initiatives and thank you for taking time to read my nomination.

--
Kind regards,

Melvin Hillsman
mrhillsman at gmail.com